A couple of days ago, we reported on a number of the very tasty covers that would be available for the record-breaking SPAWN #301 issue, due to land on comic book store shelves on Wednesday 2nd October, just prior to New York Comic Con.
That post showed off the incredible Jerome Opena, Alex Ross, J. Scott Campbell and Bill Sienkiewicz covers – now, in a flurry of updates, we now have the artwork for the Clayton Crain, Todd McFarlane and Greg Capullo covers, too… after a little bit of a kerfuffle.
Press were sent a striking Crain piece which was going to be the issues E cover but, after a follow-up email, that piece was quickly replaced with another equally dynamic piece. Because we have no shame here at The Convention Collective – and they haven’t exactly told we shouldn’t share with anyone, we include the original cover below… just don’t be surprised if you find it on a store exclusive variant down the road, we can’t imagine it’ll go to waste.
- SPAWN #301 CVR A MCFARLANE – JUL190084
- SPAWN #301 CVR B CAPULLO – JUL190085
- SPAWN #301 CVR C VIRGIN CAPULLO – JUL190086
- SPAWN #301 CVR D ALEXANDER – JUL190087
- SPAWN #301 CVR E CRAIN – JUL190088
- SPAWN #301 CVR F OPENA – JUL190089
- SPAWN #301 CVR G VIRGIN MATTINA – JUL190090
- SPAWN #301 CVR H PARODY MCFARLANE – JUL190091
- SPAWN #301 CVR I B&W MCFARLANE – JUL190092
- SPAWN #301 CVR J 25 COPY INCV VIRGIN MCFARLANE – JUL190093
- SPAWN #301 CVR K ROSS – JUL198671
- SPAWN #301 CVR L VIRGIN ROSS – JUL198672
- SPAWN #301 CVR M SIENKIEWICZ – JUL198673
- SPAWN #301 CVR N VIRGIN SIENKIEWICZ – JUL198674
- SPAWN #301 CVR O CAMPBELL – JUL198675
- SPAWN #301 CVR P VIRGIN CAMPBELL – JUL198676
- SPAWN #301 CVR Q BLANK SKETCH CVR – JUL198708
Momentum and frenzied buzz surrounding the classic antihero series continues to build leading into the record-breaking SPAWN #301 when SPAWN becomes the longest-running creator-owned comic in the world.
SPAWN is currently being adapted for film—a gritty, R-rated reimagining—which will mark Image President, co-founder and SPAWN creator, Todd McFarlane’s film directorial debut. McFarlane, an Emmy/Grammy-winning producer/director is also on board as screenwriter and producer.
SPAWN sold an unprecedented 1.7 million copies at the time it was released and is one of the world’s best-selling and longest-running monthly comic books, with hundreds of millions sold worldwide in more than 120 countries, and 15 different languages.
The comic became an Emmy Award-winning animated series on HBO and a New Line Cinema feature film that grossed more than $100 million. McFarlane went on to direct and produce award-winning and critically acclaimed projects for top movie studios and record labels.
Ahh, yes – that originally submitted Clayton Crain artwork. Here ya go…