Any day when Bill Sienkiewicz artwork gets unveiled to the world is a good day, let’s be fair. And today is a very good day as Bill’s announced variant cover for next month’s SPAWN #301 is especially tasty – as are the covers unveiled by fellow superstar artists Jerome Opeña and Alex Ross.
The reason for the rolling out of the legend illustrators is simple: #301 is the issue which marks SPAWN as the longest-running comic title in history. landing on comic book store shelves on Wednesday 2nd October, the record-breaking book will be also featuring covers by the likes of Greg Capullo, Francesco Mattina, Clayton Crain and the writer of the issue and creator of Spawn himself, Todd McFarlane.
Check out the covers in our gallery, below:
From the Image Comics press release:
“Image Comics is pleased to reveal a few more of the highly anticipated covers for the upcoming record-breaking, history-making SPAWN #301 issue by Todd McFarlane, President at Image Comics and creator of SPAWN.
This record-breaking SPAWN #301 hits stores on Wednesday, October 2.
- SPAWN #301 CVR A MCFARLANE – JUL190084
- SPAWN #301 CVR B CAPULLO – JUL190085
- SPAWN #301 CVR C VIRGIN CAPULLO – JUL190086
- SPAWN #301 CVR D ALEXANDER – JUL190087
- SPAWN #301 CVR E CRAIN – JUL190088
- SPAWN #301 CVR F OPENA – JUL190089
- SPAWN #301 CVR G VIRGIN MATTINA – JUL190090
- SPAWN #301 CVR H PARODY MCFARLANE – JUL190091
- SPAWN #301 CVR I B&W MCFARLANE – JUL190092
- SPAWN #301 CVR J 25 COPY INCV VIRGIN MCFARLANE – JUL190093
- SPAWN #301 CVR K ROSS – JUL198671
- SPAWN #301 CVR L VIRGIN ROSS – JUL198672
- SPAWN #301 CVR M SIENKIEWICZ – JUL198673
- SPAWN #301 CVR N VIRGIN SIENKIEWICZ – JUL198674
- SPAWN #301 CVR O CAMPBELL – JUL198675
- SPAWN #301 CVR P VIRGIN CAMPBELL – JUL198676
- SPAWN #301 CVR Q BLANK SKETCH CVR – JUL198708
Momentum and frenzied buzz surrounding the classic antihero series continues to build leading into the record-breaking SPAWN #301 when SPAWN becomes the longest running creator-owned comic in the world.”
SPAWN is currently being adapted for film—a gritty, R-rated reimagining—which will mark Image President, co-founder and SPAWN creator, Todd McFarlane’s film directorial debut. McFarlane, an Emmy/Grammy-winning producer/director is also on board as screenwriter and producer.
SPAWN sold an unprecedented 1.7 million copies at the time it was released and is one of the world’s best-selling and longest-running monthly comic books, with hundreds of millions sold worldwide in more than 120 countries, and 15 different languages.
The comic became an Emmy Award-winning animated series on HBO and a New Line Cinema feature film that grossed more than $100 million. McFarlane went on to direct and produce award-winning and critically acclaimed projects for top movie studios and record labels.